How to Create a Custom Template with Microsoft Word
This guide will explain the basics of creating your own custom label template using Microsoft Word. Included in this guide:
- Adjusting the size of your template
- Adding/positioning text boxes and images
- Adding barcodes
- Printing the final design
This guide is mainly written for Microsoft Word 2007 or newer, but most of the instructions apply to older versions of Word as well. If you'd like to use pre-made label templates, a variety of templates are available on your LabelTac® CD. If you don't have your CD, visit www.labeltac.com/support.
Customizing Your Paper Size:
The first step to creating a custom label is adjusting the template size to match the vinyl you will print on. To do this:
- Select Page Layout from the top bar.
- Select Custom Margins from the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- The Page Setup menu will now appear. Change all of the fields under margins to 0.
- Set the Orientation to Landscape.
- Select the Paper tab from the top of the Page Setup menu.
- Change the Height field to the size of the vinyl supply you will be printing on and the Width field to the length you would like your label to be. Then select OK. (If you receive a Margins Warning message, select Ignore.)
Inserting Text Boxes:
You can add text to your label using a text box. Text boxes allow you to adjust your text's position much more precisely.
- From the top menu bar, select Insert.
- Select Text Box from the menu.
- Select Draw Text Box from the bottom of the drop-down menu (or press D on your keyboard).
- To create a text box, click and drag your cursor to the desired size you would like within the template.
- To remove the thick black outline and white back filler, select Format from the top menu.
- Select Shape Outline or Shape Fill.
- From the drop-down menu, select No Outline/No Fill.
- To position the text box, move your cursor along the dotted line until you see a symbol. Then click and drag the box to the desired position.
- To resize the text box, click on one of the the small clear boxes along the dotted line and drag your cursor to the desired size.
Adding/Editing Text for Your Label Template:
- To choose a specific font, click within the text box. Then hit ctrl+shift+f and choose your preferred font/style/size (or select the Home tab from the top menu and change the values in the font section).
- To change the direction your text faces, select Format from the top menu bar. Then select Text Direction from the top right and choose the desired direction.
Adding Images to Your Label Template:
- Select Insert from the top menu bar. Place your cursor over Photo and then select Picture from File from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to and highlight the desired image file and then select Open to add the image to your template.
3. Click and drag the image to reposition it. To change its size, click a corner of the image and drag to make the image larger/smaller.
- If you don't already have barcode fonts installed on your computer, download our font pack at: www.labeltac.com/content/public/BarcodeFonts.zip.
- To apply barcode fonts to labels, enter the text string you would like to make a barcode.
- Highlight the text and select Font. Scroll through the list of fonts until you find the desired barcode. Select the font and click OK.
- To test the barcode, create a sample barcode label and print it with your LabelTac® printer. Use your barcode or RF scanner to scan the sample label to verify it reads correctly. Depending on your system, you may need to try different barcode fonts until you find one that functions with your scanner. Some RF scanners may require that you add an asterisk (*) before and after your barcode to make it scannable.
Printing Your Label:
- From the top menu bar, select File and then Print (or you can use the hotkey ctrl+p).
- Select your Creative LabelTac® printer from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the number of copies you would like to print and click the Print button to print your label(s).
For additional help creating and printing labels with Microsoft Word, please contact our Support Department at (866) 777-1360 or email@example.com.